During the 8th World Bonsai Convention, Saitama City, Japan, this past April 27-30, 2017, Master Bonsai Artist Shigeo Isobe performed a demonstration on a Satsuki Azalea bonsai. He started with an overgrown, bushy, mature Satsuki Azalea bonsai. Master Isobe demonstrated how much pruning a Satsuki Azalea bonsai can be done. The photograph below depicts the completed demonstration Satsuki Azalea bonsai.
Category: Events Page 2 of 3
The Bonsai Garden at Lake Merritt has been raising funds for its Garden Revitalization Opportunity (GRO) Project. This project aims to upgrade the display benches and stands, watering system, pathways, and much more, in order to meet the challenges of caring for and maintaining the historic and legacy bonsai collection in a professional and museum quality manner.
As part of this, they have initiated a recognition brick fundraiser drive in which individuals, clubs and businesses can purchase a variety of state of the art engraved bricks, and the proceeds will go towards the GRO Project. GRO projects include laying cement pavers for all pathways within the Bonsai Garden, and the engraved bricks will line a special pathway.
For information http://www.gsbf-lakemerritt.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/Bonsai-Garden-of-Lake-Merritt-Brick-Flyer-09-11-17.pdf
On 20 and 21 May 2017, at Lakeside Park Garden Center, Oakland, California, the Bay Area Satsuki Aikokai (BASA) held their 22nd Annual Satsuki Azalea Bonsai Show. Featuring Satsuki Azalea bonsai in full bloom. There were vendor and member sales, including imported from Japan Satsuki Azalea bonsai. Silent auctions and expert advise on hand made the show more exciting and informational. This year’s theme was “It’s all about the flowers in May.” Here are some photographs of the show bonsai.
I attended the 8th World Bonsai Convention (WBC), April 27-30, 2017, at Saitama City, Japan. The exhibition and vendor Satsuki Azalea Bonsai were beautiful. Here are some photos of the exhibit and vendor trees. Excursions included the Omiya Bonsai Village, Omiya Bonsai Art Museum, and the Musashi Ichinomiya Hikawa Shrine. Something about the WBC. It’s held every four years. The 1st WBC was held in Japan 28 years ago. The next World Bonsai Convention will take place in the City of Perth, Australia in 2021.
GRO is a fund raising project to improve and replace worn out benches, display stands, water systems, and pathways at the Bonsai Garden at Lake Merritt. We are raising $100,000 to make these improvements, and so far have raised slightly over 25%. No such project has been planned since the Garden opened its gate to the public since 1999. Help us meet out goal!
Click the Make a Donation button for more information.
Bonsai Garden at Lake Merritt is having its biggest Mammoth Auction & Sale on February 18 & 19, 2017. They added vendors – total of 27 with 59 tables. The Urban Farmers Store will demo watering systems for bonsai.
- Art of the Daiza, Jerry Braswell
- Back to the Roots Bonsai, Ryan Nichols
- Bonsai Fusion, Kanehiro Hamajime
- Bonsai Tonight, Jonas Dupuich
- Bonsai Travel, Kora Dalager
- Bulls Eye Bonsai, Donald Hoisington
- Carman’s Nursery, Nancy Schramm
- Deadwood Bonsai, Ned Lycett
- Deer Meadow Bonsai, Jim Gremel
- Designs by Glaister, David Glaister
- Designs by North, Stephanie North
- Enchanted Forest, David Chimpky
- GSBF Bonsai at Lake Merritt Museum
- Japanese Sumi-e, Ami Wada
- JT Bonsai, John Thompson
- Ki-No-Toshi Bonsai, Garrett Ryan
- Legacy Oaks, Barry Altshule
- Lone Pine Gardens, Steve Price
- Lotus Bonsai Nursery & Gardens, Bolet Salvador and Scott Chadd
- Mendocino Coast Bonsai, Zack and Bob Shimon
- Muranaka Bonsai, George Muranaka
- Pet Plants, Don Hilbert
- Round Valley Nursery, Ed and Linda Clark
- Seiji Shiba
- Shohin Bonsai Guy, David Gocinski
- Soh-Ju-En Satsuki Bonsai, Darren and Laura Wong
- The Urban Farmer Store, Annex, Richmond, CA
Look whose vending at the Mammoth Auction & Sale on Sunday, February 19, 2017:
1. Art of the Daiza, Jerry Braswell
2. Back to the Roots Bonsai, Ryan Nichols
3. Bonsai Fusion, Kanehiro Hamajime
4. Bonsai Tonight, Jonas Dupuich
5. Bonsai Travel, Kora Dalager
6. Bulls Eye Bonsai, Donald Hoisington
7. Carman’s Nursery, Nancy Schramm
8. Deadwood Bonsai, Ned Lycett
9. Deer Meadow Bonsai, Jim Gremel
10. Designs by Glaister, David Glaister
11. Designs by North, Stephanie North
12. Enchanted Forest, David Chimpky
13. GSBF Bonsai at Lake Merritt Museum
14. Japanese Sumi-e, Ami Wada
15. JT Bonsai, John Thompson
16. Ki-No-Toshi Bonsai, Garrett Ryan
17. Legacy Oaks, Barry Altshule
18. Lone Pine Gardens, Steve Price
19. Lotus Bonsai Nursery & Gardens, Bolet Salvador and Scott Chadd
20. Mendocino Coast Bonsai, Zack and Bob Shimon
21. Muranaka Bonsai, George Muranka
22. Pet Plants, Don Hilbert
23. Round Valley Nursery, Ed and Linda Clark
24. Seiji Shiba
25. Shohin Bonsai Guy, David Gocinski
26. Soh-Ju-En Satsuki Bonsai, Darren and Laura Wong